Friday 8 April 2011

Evaluation: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

The combination of my three pieces work very effectively because the two ancillary tasks reflect the common themes and genre of the main task. For the main piece I created a music video for the Gothic/Metal band Evanescence. This product used representation, themes and conventions of the Gothic genre to display a narrative. This meant that I had to convey the same themes within the ancillary tasks; a website and a digi-pack. Obviously all the tasks were created for the same band, however to communicate a clear attitude of the band the themes and imagery needed to be constant throughout the three tasks. I aimed to keep the colour very dark and low-key in all my pieces to conform to the style of the genre and common morbid themes which are also expected. The backgrounds to the webpage and digi-pack, as well as the constant dark images in the music video, all reflect this morbid sense of the Gothic nature.

The themes of horror ran constant throughout the three pieces. This is because of intentions to emphasise horror through the narrative, which appealed strongly to me as I discovered this is very individualistic and specific to the Gothic genre. To convey this I crated a strong visual images, such as the masks worn by the characters in my music video. This creates an obvious link to the horror sub-genre as well as playing a hugely important role in the narrative. This narrative link to horror continues with my final cover designs for the band's album, taking the Gothic story of a haunted house and applying a narrative to the album as a whole. This is a positive and direct link to the music video and suggests the style of music, conventions and expectation of a very theatrical and narrative based album.

I think I have successfully communicated the themes and aims of the band, and their style of music through the three tasks. I see this as an effective combination of the website, to express the mindset and target audience of the band, and the common narrative, and representation used within the album's digi-pack and the music video for the song 'Imaginary'.

No comments:

Post a Comment