Tuesday 15 February 2011

Final Song Choice 'Imaginary"

Choice of Song

The Gothic Metal band Evanescence is a classic example of the combination of genres. With female vocals of Aimee Lee, the band juxtaposes heavy metal music with very melodic singing. I chose this band because it displayed all the conventional aspects of the Gothic/ Metal genre of music, through the bands physical appearance and through the music and lyrics.

I chose the song 'Imaginary', from the album 'Fallen' as it provides a lot of opportunities to show off the conventions and styles of the Gothic genre. The lyrics in the song are very Gothic, which helps enormously when putting them to visuals. Another reason this particular song stood out was because of its themes. The themes of dreams and nightmares allow me as the creator to uses my imaginationto the fullest, 'anything can happen in a dream'. In preparation to creating a suitable storyline to link with these themes I looked up dreams and nightmares on the internet to get a feel for the surrealistic images I could present.






From research into the two themes I found a general contrast of beauty and horror. The themes of dreams links in perfectly with the Gothic genre and the horror aspects commonly found in this type of genre can be applied to nightmares. There is also a strong relationship with nature in dream, which I might include to back up the story and location. I believe it is very important to contain this contrast in my music video, my intentions are to create a world which we may find frightening but also strangely beautiful as well.

Also in preparation to the creation of my story, I also took inspiration from film. I watched films which followed the style of the Gothic genre such as Tim Burton's 'Sleepy Hollow', 'The Corpse Bride' and other films dealing with the theme of dreams such as 'Inception'. From these films I could see the obvious Gothic horror style in action, and I also saw the surrealistic visuals which bent the imagination. This helped me greatly to create my storyline for the song and for my music video.





No comments:

Post a Comment